Kurdistan Agricultural & Natural Resources Research and Education Center
at a glance
Deputy of Research and Technology
Dr. Bayzid Yousefi
Head of the Center
Ph.D. in Plant Breeding (Genetic_Biometric)
Phone: (+98) 87 33622181
Deputy of Research and Technology
Phone number: (+98) 87 33625595
Dr. Naseh Ghaderi
Deputy of Education
Ph.D. in Climate change in agriculture
Phone number: +98 87 33722345
Deputy of Human Resources Development and Management
Kurdistan Agricultural and Natural Resources Research and Education Center is located in Sanandaj, the capital of Kurdistan Province, in the west of Iran. Our research activities have been established with the title of Seed and Plant Improvement Research Office since 1964.
At present, this center, with three deputies including research & technology, education, development and human resources management, conducts applied research in the field of agriculture and natural resources and provides the required agronomic training in Kurdistan province.
The research & technology deputy consists of four research departments including Agronomy & Horticultural Sciences, Forests and Rangelands, Animal Sciences, and Soil Conservation and Watershed Management research divisions as well as two research units named Seed and Plant Registration and Certification, and Information Technology. Research plans in the field of agro-horticulture, natural resources and animal sciences in Kurdistan Research Center are conducting in laboratories and seven research stations.
These stations are suitable environments to conduct the research projects, protection of genetic resources, and production of primary stock of new and superior varieties. On average more than one hundred research projects are performed in each year.
The Herbarium of Kurdistan Agricultural and Natural Resources Research and Education Center is one of the most prestigious herbariums in Iran, which has been registered in the International Index Herbariums as the HKS code since 2011. This herbarium is currently considered as one of the main botanical centers in Iran with more than 15,000 valuable plant samples.
Apart from formal applied science trainings, such as skill assessments and professional technical training, the center of educational deputy is active in the field of training farmers, government employees, and rural women. There are equipped educationally spaces, educational gardens, an agricultural machinery workhouse, a workroom for the production of mushrooms and two educational greenhouses. In addition, the laboratories are located in this field. The educational unit of Vahdat Agricultural Conservatory located in Saqqez city, under the supervision of the educational deputy of the center trains students in vocational courses including tractor engine repair, grain fruits, beekeeping, rangeland farming, industrial poultry farming, livestock and poultry farming, watershed management and garden farming.
Fig1. The Seed and Plant Improvement Office that was established in 1964 at the Gerizeh Research Station.
Fig. 2. Location of the educational deputy of Kurdistan Agricultural and Natural Resources Research and Education Center, Sanandaj, Iran
Fig.3. The forests of Kurdistan province are located in the northern part of the Zagros Mountains and some of the research projects of the forest and rangeland research department are conducted in this area.
Fig.4. Saral Agricultural Research Station is the main station to conserve of endangered “Markhoz” goat breed.
Fig.5. The Herbarium of Kurdistan Agricultural and Natural Resources Research and Education Center (HKS) is one of the main botanical centers in Iran with more than 15,000 valuable plant samples.
Recent main achievements:
1. Introducing and registering four new plant species for the first time in the world.
2. Contribution to introducing of dryland crops including wheat, barley, chickpea, vetch and etc.
3. Cooperation in introducing of new grapes rootstocks and cultivars.
4. Compilation of the flora of Kurdistan province.
5. Achieving the first rank in the WOS scientific database, among the provincial research centers, based on the scientometric system of the Agricultural Research, Education and Extension Organization (AREEO).
6. Standing at the third rank in the country in the field of farmers' education.
7. Success in mass production of hybrid off-springs in the strawberry breeding project.
8. Improving the productive and reproductive performance of small ruminants.
9. Acquisition of the first rank of dryland wheat production in the country (P3).
10. Identifying and reporting of strawberry cyclamen mites for the first time in Iran.
11. Performing more than 100 training workshops for farmers and beginner experts annually
12. Acquisition of Ganoderma (medicinal mushroom) production technology for the first time in the province.
13. Reporting the bacterium that cause angular leaf spot in strawberry for the first time in Iran.
14. Effective cooperation in performing the improve food security project in cereal-based systems.
15. Preparation of a conservation program for endangered “Markhoz” goat population in its habitat.
16. Using of agricultural wastes and residues in ruminant feeding.
17. Monitoring and registration of the Markhoz goat population.
18. Prevalence and rate of infection of honeybee colonies with viral diseases.
Fig. 6. Increasing the diversity of rainfed wheat cultivars due to the increase in "breeding" research and its positive effects on increasing wheat production in Kurdistan province.
Fig.7. Achieving the first rank of applied research in the 28th Kharazmi International Festival.
Fig. 8. Introducing superior clones of "Rasha", the main cultivar of Kurdistan rainfed vineyards
Current main projects:
1. Breeding projects of rainfed crops including wheat, barley, food, and feed legumes, and safflower.
2. Nutrition management and determination of the optimal level of nitrogen fertilizer in dryland wheat fields of Kurdistan province.
3. Identification of soil contamination by heavy metals in high-risk lands.
4. Study on soil physical and chemical changes in soil quality monitoring sites.
5. The formation of national soil physical and hydraulic properties data bank.
6. Studying the role of virtual water and water efficiency in agricultural water resources management.
7. Studying the role of virtual water and water efficiency in agricultural water resources management.
8. Evaluation of the effects of climate change on the habitat of important rangeland species in Kurdistan province based on climate forecasting models.
9. Monitoring of pests and diseases of forest trees and pastures in the Zagros region.
10. Evaluation of some biological indicators in oak forests of the Zagros vegetation zone.
11. Determining the protection status of plants and ecosystems in Iran and publishing the red list of plant species in Kurdistan province.
12. Population viability analysis of endangered Iranian sheep and goat breeds.
13. Comprehensive conservation program for endangered Markhoz goat breed in station condition.
14. Evaluation of Improved queens performance in the private sector apiary (third layer) of Kurdistan province.
15. Profitability of ASRII plan for three lambings in two years in Kurdi ewes.
16. Assessment and viability analysis of Kurd horse population for providing conservation program.
17. Effect of complete feeding blocks, is made based on strawberry bushed and chickpea straw on performance, digestibility and rumen parameters of fattening male calves.
18. Breeding projects in the field of evaluation of adaptation and stability of grain yield in promising chickpea genotypes in cold rainfed areas.
1. Identifying the pattern of disease strains distribution and integrated pest management in crops.
2. Identifying the suitable herbicides to control weeds in wheat and chickpea fields.
3. Strawberry breeding project with the aim of achieving day-neutral varieties with superior traits.
4. Grapes breeding projects in the field of compatibility and horticultural traits of superior grape clones and hybrids.
5. Identification and evaluation of essential oils and the agronomic yield of important species of medicinal plants.
6. Economic evaluation of research activities and study of comparative benefits of agricultural products.
Fig. 9. A view of the research project entitled "Studying the effect of chemical fertilizer and Plant Growth Promoting Rizobacteria (PGPR) application simultaneously on quality and quantity traits of rainfed wheat" and location of treatments in the Ghamloo Agricultural Research Station in 2018.
Fig. 10. Ghamloo Agricultural Research Station is the main location for dryland grain breeding projects in Kurdistan province, Iran.
Fig. 11. Strawberry breeding project with the aim of achieving day-neutral varieties with superior traits.
Fig. 12. An overview of research projects conducted in the field of medicinal plants.
Research Outputs (Main Outputs, Trainings, Publications)
1- Annual conducting of more than one hundred research projects in the various fields of agronomy and horticulture, pests and diseases of plants and animals, soil nutrition and fertility, forests and rangelands, animal sciences, watershed management, and agricultural economics.
2- Seed production of rainfed wheat, barley, and chickpea cultivars
3- Propagation of promising hybrids of grapes and strawberries
4- Supervising and certifying the production of seeds and seedlings in the province and performing quality and health control tests of seeds and seedlings
5- Protection and maintenance of collections of strawberries, grapes, damask rose, medicinal plants and the local race of Markhoz goat.
6- Organizing the samples and improving the storage capacity of plant herbarium
7- Conducting semi-detailed soil studies in Kurdistan province
8- Publication of books and applied handbooks, final reports, technical and promotional journals and scientific research articles in prestigious national and international journals
9- Collaboration in holding agricultural national and international conferences in Kurdistan province
10- Designing and construction of positioning software for watershed structures
11- Identification and introduction of important pathogenic diseases and viruses in honey bee
12- Identification of three new species of scorpions in Kurdistan province
13- Introduction of tolerant strawberry cultivars to environmental stresses
14- Monitoring and implementation of training courses in order to increase the skills and empowerment of beginner experts and farmers in Kurdistan province with new technologies and methods of agriculture and animal husbandry
15- Training of 21,000 farmers in the field of modern techniques of agriculture, horticulture, animal husbandry and production of royal jelly in 2019.
16- Participation of our researchers as professional assistants in the new agricultural extension programs by holding the farm days, research outputs transfer week and continuous presence in fields
17- Holding start-up events including the first innovation event of medicinal plants in the west of Iran and implementing a joint start-up weekend with neighboring provinces
Fig. 13. Semi-detailed soil studies in Kurdistan province.